1 of 2 The story, which has circulated on social media and on Twitter, claims the FBI is investigating an attack on an FBI office in San Bernardino, California, by a radical Muslim.
The article has prompted questions on whether the bureau’s investigation is real, and whether the false story was fabricated.
The FBI says it is investigating.
“There are no credible threats to our facilities or the communities we serve,” FBI Director Christopher Wray said in a statement.
“The FBI is committed to the protection of our communities and will continue to work diligently to combat violent extremism and all forms of violence.”
The article, which was published Sunday morning, said an unidentified person had tried to set up a fake Facebook account, and the FBI was investigating the “potential threat.”
It also said the fake account had been “liked” by about 1,000 people, and that the FBI’s San Bernardino office had received about 2,000 reports of suspicious activity.
“FBI and local law enforcement have been working closely with federal and state officials to identify this threat,” the statement said.
The news comes as President Donald Trump continues to face criticism over his decision to delay the release of the details of his travel ban, which he argued was not “Muslim ban” but rather a temporary measure.
Trump told reporters at the White House Monday that the ban was a “travel ban” and that it would go into effect on Friday.
“I’ll let you know when I have a decision on it,” he said.
In a statement, Trump said the White “does not believe the ban is ‘Muslim ban’ and believes the ban has been blocked by the courts.”
The FBI said in March that it had received at least 1,300 reports of a suspicious activity related to the travel ban.
Trump has argued that the travel bans are “extreme vetting,” but the bureau has said that is not the case.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.